Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 38      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
TempestWolf

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 56
Reply with quote  #16 
Hmm... as much as some people hate suggestions that refer to other games... we don't need planets to be... well... planet sized... the way Planetary Annihilation does it, is a-ok. Something large enough to support a few warring colonies, but so large as to be unexplorable. The ideas with background scenery is nice and all, but i prefer my planetoids touchable/crashable into. 
Kamoba

Registered:
Posts: 1,391
Reply with quote  #17 
I'm liking the sound of Orbit!

Making stations which orbit a planet would be good!

Honestly I'm happy with exploring asteroids, if I wanted to explore a planet I'd go outside [wink]

Allot of good suggestions on this thread [smile]
Lockerd

Registered:
Posts: 128
Reply with quote  #18 
I said it before and I'll say it again, planetoids or small moons.

I don't want to see huge planets to dilute what this game already made for itself.

having something like a cracked planetoid or large cluster of asteroids would be cool.

no exploration, no colony building on a planet.

thats not what this game is about and if it does add it then it will derail from its original goal.

however I am all for different types of planetoids, like gaseous, Ice, molten, etc.

Planets NO, Planetoids...maybe but they have to be the minimum.
Kamoba

Registered:
Posts: 1,391
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockerd
I said it before and I'll say it again, planetoids or small moons.

I don't want to see huge planets to dilute what this game already made for itself.

having something like a cracked planetoid or large cluster of asteroids would be cool.

no exploration, no colony building on a planet.

thats not what this game is about and if it does add it then it will derail from its original goal.

however I am all for different types of planetoids, like gaseous, Ice, molten, etc.

Planets NO, Planetoids...maybe but they have to be the minimum.


Agreed to this!
*clicks like button*
Gheiter

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 184
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockerd
I said it before and I'll say it again, planetoids or small moons.

I don't want to see huge planets to dilute what this game already made for itself.

having something like a cracked planetoid or large cluster of asteroids would be cool.

no exploration, no colony building on a planet.

thats not what this game is about and if it does add it then it will derail from its original goal.

however I am all for different types of planetoids, like gaseous, Ice, molten, etc.

Planets NO, Planetoids...maybe but they have to be the minimum.

I also agree.

If planets were to be realistically scaled, they'd be huge. Even a small planetoid would take ages to explore, or even to orbit around on low-orbit. I don't think people realize the scale of things.

Large asteroids and such with their own spherical gravity would be awesome, though.
Kamoba

Registered:
Posts: 1,391
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockerd
I said it before and I'll say it again, planetoids or small moons.

I don't want to see huge planets to dilute what this game already made for itself.

having something like a cracked planetoid or large cluster of asteroids would be cool.

no exploration, no colony building on a planet.

thats not what this game is about and if it does add it then it will derail from its original goal.

however I am all for different types of planetoids, like gaseous, Ice, molten, etc.

Planets NO, Planetoids...maybe but they have to be the minimum.

I also agree.

If planets were to be realistically scaled, they'd be huge. Even a small planetoid would take ages to explore, or even to orbit around on low-orbit. I don't think people realize the scale of things.

Large asteroids and such with their own spherical gravity would be awesome, though.



You're so right when you say people don't realise the scale of things....

They also don't realise system limitations...

Too many people say 'I want a Ferrari!'
You ask them them how much money they have and often the reply is not enough to afford a drivers licence!

If only people kept this in mind before posting their Christmas wish list, then flaming when they don't get it.
sk4t4nic

Registered:
Posts: 25
Reply with quote  #22 
Even though it is called space engineers the first thing I thought of when I started the game was "I would like to see something like a planet in the game." Like bob4life said. Nothing super massive but something big enough to not be an asteroid.  I also do like some of the alternatives that people have proposed if planets aren't viable.  
Evis

Registered:
Posts: 240
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
I don't want to see huge planets to dilute what this game already made for itself.


What has it made for itself?

All you can do is build blocks and magically 'engineer' these blocks to move in a tiny dead universe roughly the size of some US states, all by yourself.

Nothing really here to dilute. 

Without planets and something to do, this is more or less build your own mario cart and smash it into the wall.
Gheiter

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 184
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evis

Without planets and something to do, this is more or less build your own mario cart and smash it into the wall.

You don't need planets to have something to do.
The alpha version is currently creative only, and after you get bored of crashing your ships there's nothing to do. However, in the future surviaval mode and multiplayer, the lack of things to do won't be a problem.
Jay Donium

Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #25 
I'm going to go with no planets.

Also aren't these asteroids in our solar system? The asteroid belts we are exploring are between Mars and JupiterJupiterJupiterJ. Last I checked there are no planets between Mars and Jupiter. This isn't 1k years in the future where we can get to other solar systemssolar systemsSSs. (The nearest being about 4.2 light-years away) It would take us hundreds if not thousands of years to fly that far out with out current technology. I haven't seen anything about warp drives yet so... The asteroid belt of our solar system alone would still take 5-10 years to reach.

If anything they could just add semilarge asteroids with an atmosphere. While still not very realistic it's less imposing than finding new planets all over the place.

Reading through here though I guess I'm the only one concerned with keeping space engineers in space or realistic... I don't need another planet based voxel game... I want SPACE!!! oh well. Can we make planet generation optional then? Add a toggle switch on map generation? [biggrin]
 
Rumsfield

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockerd
I said it before and I'll say it again, planetoids or small moons.

I don't want to see huge planets to dilute what this game already made for itself.


I agree. I think larger asteroids or clusters of asteroids which could be proceduraly generated in the game environment would work well, but planets on a realistic scale would be too much.
bob4life10

Registered:
Posts: 23
Reply with quote  #27 

planets can just be considered planets in namesake only. we dont need to go by the scientific definition of planets like we're trying to take away pluto's "planet card" or something along those lines.

just gimme something round, has resources, and looks big enough for me and a couple others to build and mine on, and il be satisfied.
and pretty. s'gotta be pretty. or not. ugly and pretty planets, you're all beautiful to me.

throw in some size variables, color variables, gravity variables, hell, maybe even some atmosphere variables, and slap that stuff in the game. i'll at least be satisfied, and im sure others will as well.
we dont need to go full on "hey lets go ahead and throw in full-scale earth". just something thats big enough and identifiable enough to be named and valued by people in the game and server.

cuz as i said, "that asteroid that has the holes in it" doesnt really cut it for me. im sure it does for some people, but after a couple thousand "that asteroid's", the unchanging emptiness of space will start to get bland.

and considering that a good portion of people want planets, and another good portion just kinda sorta doesnt, i dont see how adding planets will hurt anyone. 
the people who want planets will be all "hell yeah, man, planets dude", and the people who dont want them will just tolerate them because i mean come on, who would honestly sit down and say "man i love this game, but i hate the fact that there are colonize-able celestial bodies. golly gee, thats a real shame".  

this'll bring about really cool things like trade between planets, battles between colonies, and central hubs for players.

because i want you to imagine how it currently is: unnamed, varying asteroids with no real redeeming qualities (besides the really cool cave systems) that are almost completely interchangeable and almost entirely unidentifiable besides some descriptions of size.

now, i want you to sit down and imagine a long-running server where there are named, colonized planets, and a player-created server mythos and history as well as trading systems and factions that goes along with the its specific planets and solar system, and try not to get excited over that prospect.

the players can create history by themselves, but it wont be possible without something to land on and call home.

Catfish

Registered:
Posts: 167
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosto7
A) No actual polygons rendered option

I'd like you to consider something along the lines of what homeworld 2 did.
         
[...]
         
Basically, they made backgrounds that made you feel like objects were present "somewhere out there" but weren't. It worked very well.

B) Render simple sphere's but don't allow landing... ie. atmosphere only.


I think it's important that planets don't take away from what the game has got already.  I'd rather see development continue in its current direction first.  I do like the idea of a planet dominating the horizon, or even being an obstacle.
lordcat33

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockerd
I said it before and I'll say it again, planetoids or small moons.

I don't want to see huge planets to dilute what this game already made for itself.

having something like a cracked planetoid or large cluster of asteroids would be cool.

no exploration, no colony building on a planet.

thats not what this game is about and if it does add it then it will derail from its original goal.

however I am all for different types of planetoids, like gaseous, Ice, molten, etc.

Planets NO, Planetoids...maybe but they have to be the minimum.


Couldn't agree more [tongue]
Admiral Yuki

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 295
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4life10
 

the people who want planets will be all "hell yeah, man, planets dude", and the people who dont want them will just tolerate them because i mean come on, who would honestly sit down and say "man i love this game, but i hate the fact that there are colonize-able celestial bodies. golly gee, thats a real shame".  



Making your planets will take time, resources, and money from the devs; which could be better spent - right now - on other things. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:


Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!