Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 4 of 38      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next   »
xXDailyCheeseXx

Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
they dont need to be in the next update or right now. just at some point, they should exist. 


Honestly, I agree with this... 


My personal opinion is to give players the ability to shape the game their way. For example 

If they implement the fully interactable Planets, the best way to cater both sides of this debate is to have the option to have or not have planets spawn. Win-Win right?
Evito

Registered:
Posts: 164
Reply with quote  #47 
I still haven't seen a single suggestion from the Team Planet Engineers (ok maybe a little bit of pun intended [smile] ) that solves the huge immersion breaking issue of delta-v required
for escaping planetary gravity wells. Just reaching Earths Lagrange 1 point requires a good 7km/s of delta-v.

It'd take insanely large launch vehicles or magtubes lifted above surface thousands of kilometers long. The magtubes would work, even by 2077 but it'd require ruining the economy of practically any 2 world powers combined, not gonna happen i tell ya.
And it'd require incredible amounts of changes to the engine to render this in anything resembling a good quality feature in the product.


TL;DR Its too friggen costly for what it gets us, i bought a high quality Space Engineers not Planet Engineers.

bob4life10

Registered:
Posts: 23
Reply with quote  #48 

you're arguing over the economic burden of interplanetary travel and resource cost that would come from entering and exiting atmospheres, while i just want to put damn circles with gravity in space.

i think if you are capable of suspending your disbelief enough to allow gravity generators, thrusters that work without compensating for the center of gravity, and zero-gravity speed limiters, then some planets wont be as game breaking as you trump it up to be. 
this isnt a super realistic arma-esque space game. its a game where, as of right now, the most you are expected to do is build ships and ram them together. instead of arguing over the semantics of interplanetary space travel, while conveniently overlooking the realism breaking assets that are already in the game, you can instead search for what would be the most fun addition to a game. 
i see the most fun addition to be planetoids. 

this is not "NASA Space Simulation". its "Build Ships And Fight Other Ships And Maybe Collect Some Rocks Too". This game is not made for literal rocket engineers. its a game geared for people who want to fight in space, and anyone else for that matter. dont try to convince yourself that its a game geared to be 99.9% entirely realistic with a .1% margin of error, because thats not, nor ever has been, what this game is about. this BS "i bought space engineers not fantasyland 2077 hurr" argument i keep hearing is moot, and entirely resigned to people thoroughly convinced that they are way goddamn smarter than the average bear

ZeroProximity

Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #49 
So i just read the every post to this point and i keep seeing the this one argument against planets come up a-lot. "we cant have them because the system resources required would be too much"

I call bs on this because there are quite a few games out there aka starmade that do space and planets, now its all small scale mind you but basically it renders everything only when you are close, the same could be done with planets, you render a skybox like object till you get close then you render the planet's outside and once you make planet-fall then you render the land, and you only render the underside if they dig.

games like universal combat gold and kerbal space program do things similar to this and there is no reason that space engineers cant

and i fully agree with bob4life10

ps. and for all the people claiming this is Space Engineers and not Planet Engineers, its also not Asteroid Engineers so please leave that argument at the door, because not one of you has complained about the asteroids 
Kamoba

Registered:
Posts: 1,391
Reply with quote  #50 
Starmade is a different game entirely, the amount needed to render a ship on that game is fractional to this game.
Just open your eyes and look at how many people are bitching about the game being too lagging, adding a full scale planet which can be explored would just make that worse.

Now to shut your argument of 'I want a full scale planet'

Allot of people are agreeing in the possibility of a large planetoid or other celestial body (like it says in the title)

And also with planet backgrounds...

So with those people finding common grounds, don't you think it would be more suitable for you to put in a constructive suggestion towards those common grounds?

Otherwise your post is an invalid statement.

You cannot say everyone who disagrees with planets is wrong based on another game running on a different engine which also uses different mechanics.

End of.

So come up with an idea which goes beyond 'so and so does this, so you all suck.'
ZeroProximity

Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #51 
I Never once said there should be no common ground, i fully endorse a check-box for planet generation or other such options giving the players full and individual/server control over every aspect of the game

and starmade is one example of a game making use of both space and planet generation; not a how to guide on what they devs should do, merely an example that it can be done

and im not saying everyone sucks, im just looking to get people to provide better arguments for why there should be no planets than the title of the game and system restraints, as i just barely pass the min required and im able to load massive ships with "minimal" issue(but not always) and with proper design and implementation planets could be a minimal drain on the system resources.

so instead of arguing for the devs claiming it cant be done, and let them decide, they asked because it is a potential possibility



As for now, i will not reply to any retort as i do not wish this to become an argument train where nether side will listen
Kamoba

Registered:
Posts: 1,391
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroProximity




As for now, i will not reply to any retort as i do not wish this to become an argument train where nether side will listen


I can agree with this [smile]

4WalledKid

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 8
Reply with quote  #53 
Hello there!

I just joined the forums and the first thing I read was this. I see some people degree with the idea of adding planets or celestial bodies just because the game is called SPACE Engineers. I have to recall that planets are a really important part of space. Without the planets space would be useless. In game terms, having something to protect from others would be challenging and fun. Having random generated planets with different gravity, light, atmosphere. It would be awesome that you can take off your helmet inside space stations or inside a planet with oxygen.I f planets are not possible, what about big asteroids with caves and resources? Think about it, I'm not the only one asking for them.
Kamoba

Registered:
Posts: 1,391
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WalledKid
Hello there!

I just joined the forums and the first thing I read was this. I see some people degree with the idea of adding planets or celestial bodies just because the game is called SPACE Engineers. I have to recall that planets are a really important part of space. Without the planets space would be useless. In game terms, having something to protect from others would be challenging and fun. Having random generated planets with different gravity, light, atmosphere. It would be awesome that you can take off your helmet inside space stations or inside a planet with oxygen.I f planets are not possible, what about big asteroids with caves and resources? Think about it, I'm not the only one asking for them.



You're not the only one and I think the obvious out come is down to the Devs [wink]
muha

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #55 
Hello all.

I own the game, and decided to create an account to add my two cents.

I honestly really want planets in this game. Because to be frank, there's not a lot to do with it right now, and if they don't add anything to drive the player forward then the game will die down. And to be honest, I doubt many people have the patience to build a life size replica of the enterprise, crash it and rebuild it again. Even vanilla minecraft has more content then that.

What surprises me is that nobody mentioned my favorite space game that kind of solves the issue for everyone. That game is Freelancer.

You have planets and solar systems, but the planets are just spheres with rotating textures and a gate that you use to land on it. When you "land" it loads a diff worldspace for you to play with. While the planet itself remains just that, an empty sphere that will kill you if you get too close.

So here are my suggestions:

1. Add planets (make them diff sizes, but not real life size, freelance had the perfect sized planets. not too big, but big enough to be annoying to go the entire way around)

2. The amazing thing with space engineers is those three buttons that allow you to build small and large ships, plus stations. Well how about when a new planet is discovered, who ever builds a "planetary station" owns it. The station is attached to that planet and only one or two can be build.

3. Once the station is build, adding modules (Game already has some modules) to the station would allow specific planetary tasks. If you build a module that would allow you to land on the planet (think of the star wars MMO), when used, after a loading screen you will have a 5kmx5km area to explore. That way the server wont implode, and the client wont overload. It is even possible to have clients act as servers for the planets.

By adding these stations, and possible other stations (I'm thinking of something like a ship manufacturing plant where you upload a blueprint, give it resources and it builds it for you), the developers will give players something to do other than build-crash-build-crash.

Imagine building your own warp-gates between planets...... I would absolutely love that idea...
Kamoba

Registered:
Posts: 1,391
Reply with quote  #56 
Freelancer is a game I consider a different level to Space Engineers and is allot more Sci-Fi orientated (its an EPIC game [wink] )

I like the idea of planets with the animated textures (like seen in freelancer and the X series)
Just to add a little extra, perhaps there could be a choice of planetary backgrounds.


As for the planet stations...

That's a good 'conquer' style game play for online PvP...
First team to build a space station which has X function becomes the main base, this team then has to defend that station...
muha

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #57 
I understand the game is called space engineers. But that doesn't mean it has to revolve only around that. The perfect space sim game for me would be to build my ship, go exploring (preferably faster than the meager 105m/s or what ever the cap is) Find a planet, build a station, land on it, explore it (maybe eradicate the locals) and build a colony there that would collect resources and provide NPC manpower to my station that will keep grown. Eventually build a station that can produce capital class ships, draw the blueprint and watch it being built. Once I have my capital ships, explore some more, come across space faring civilization and go on an all out war with them and eventually take over their planetary station.

My best advice to the devs however would be very simple, allow modding, because games like this attract modders in droves and the modding community sooner or latter outdoes the devs in content and quality.
Evito

Registered:
Posts: 164
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4life10

you're arguing over the economic burden of interplanetary travel and resource cost that would come from entering and exiting atmospheres, while i just want to put damn circles with gravity in space.

i think if you are capable of suspending your disbelief enough to allow gravity generators, thrusters that work without compensating for the center of gravity, and zero-gravity speed limiters, then some planets wont be as game breaking as you trump it up to be. 
this isnt a super realistic arma-esque space game. its a game where, as of right now, the most you are expected to do is build ships and ram them together. instead of arguing over the semantics of interplanetary space travel, while conveniently overlooking the realism breaking assets that are already in the game, you can instead search for what would be the most fun addition to a game. 
i see the most fun addition to be planetoids. 

this is not "NASA Space Simulation". its "Build Ships And Fight Other Ships And Maybe Collect Some Rocks Too". This game is not made for literal rocket engineers. its a game geared for people who want to fight in space, and anyone else for that matter. dont try to convince yourself that its a game geared to be 99.9% entirely realistic with a .1% margin of error, because thats not, nor ever has been, what this game is about. this BS "i bought space engineers not fantasyland 2077 hurr" argument i keep hearing is moot, and entirely resigned to people thoroughly convinced that they are way goddamn smarter than the average bear



The game flies the ship on computer control, not direct. The reason you dont have to account for center of gravity is because the game does it for you if you screw the placement up. Do try it, especially if you attach cargoloads to ships with landing gear it becomes Very noticeable that the matter of fact is indeed as i say.

I suspend my disbelief on gravity generators out of necessity. But a 2 megaton ship raising from a planetary surface without burning an entire nations oil reserves goes Way the heck beoynd the pale. Artificial gravity can be done, it is simply just very inconvenient to simulate in a manner more casual players would find comfortable for a game. Personally i'd be happy with centrifugal gravity but i digress.

We have absolutely no idea what the speedlimiters will be, they could still very well raise it to realistic proportions. No you don't want to be traveling at 0.3c in an intrasystem environment with asteroid belts etc.

Still haven't seen a single reason to justify the amount of resources doing it in proper quality to include in this game.


Smaller planetoids, sure if the devs deem it proper for the folks who want something large in.

Large scale planets? If they really want to do it, sure After i get a working product paid for. I don't dish out good money after pipe dreams that net very little real benefit.
Kamoba

Registered:
Posts: 1,391
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by muha
I understand the game is called space engineers. But that doesn't mean it has to revolve only around that. The perfect space sim game for me would be to build my ship, go exploring (preferably faster than the meager 105m/s or what ever the cap is) Find a planet, build a station, land on it, explore it (maybe eradicate the locals) and build a colony there that would collect resources and provide NPC manpower to my station that will keep grown. Eventually build a station that can produce capital class ships, draw the blueprint and watch it being built. Once I have my capital ships, explore some more, come across space faring civilization and go on an all out war with them and eventually take over their planetary station.

My best advice to the devs however would be very simple, allow modding, because games like this attract modders in droves and the modding community sooner or latter outdoes the devs in content and quality.



I'm glad you said your idea of the perfect sim, because this leaves you open to realisation that it may not be in this game and you're not demanding it's implementation [smile]

muha

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamoba

 I'm glad you said your idea of the perfect sim, because this leaves you open to realisation that it may not be in this game and you're not demanding it's implementation [smile]


Im kind of hoping that it would happen eventually through the infinite capabilities of modding.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:


Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!